Saturday 17 July 2010

Summerfast 2010 - Another 10K Road Race

This morning was my last official 10KM road race before we fly out to Washington DC for the official challenge race on 29th August. Based on my previous race result my goal was to have a time starting with 50 minutes, which means a race pace of 5 minute per KM. An ambitious target indeed!

The start of the race was located 500m south of Ceperley Park on the paved path, directly across from the Parks Board Office. The finish line was also in Ceperley Picnic Area at Second Beach, Stanley Park. The Summerfast 10k featured a course that was very scenic and fast as it travels around the Vancouver seawall. The race course was completely flat and after the start, the race course headed east along the south side of Lost Lagoon and over to Mile Zero. Here the runners completed a short side loop along Coal Harbour, very close to our apartment building, before heading out onto the seawall. The race course then followed the seawall in a counter clockwise direction, where unusually there was not too many people in our way.

The race went well with regards to pace and I kept a steady pace of just over 5mins per KM and the conditions were perfect with early morning sun, but not too much heat. Although the pace took it out of me going into the last KM and I was certainly puffed out crossing the finishing line.

So what was the result? Was it a personal best or did I fluff my last chance? Well, according to my Ipod the time was 51 min 3 secs. However, the verified, official race time was 51 min 7secs and so it was a personal best but not quite what I wanted to achieve.... Conclusion is more training and practice to get my time down.

No comments: