Tuesday 18 August 2009

Travelling around Canada

The last week has seen me traveling the length and breadth of Canada with work. I left Vancouver last Wednesday for Winnipeg, which was a 3 hour flight, and the very center of Canada. Winnipeg in the province of Manitoba (which is the home of Bob's family) didn't really offer much, except for 1970s architecture and a huge postal office.

My travels then took me to Regina which is in the province of Saskatchewan, where we have a great Mercedes-Benz Dealer, but the town did not offer too much. I then drove from Regina to Saskatoon, which took two and half hours, but on the straightest and most flat road I have ever driven. There was no distinguishing features of this road except for its flatest. The only interesting moment was the sight of Mount Blackstrap, which was a man-made hill created from rubbish and old tyres for the purpose of skiing! Let's just say I would have been highly disappointed if I had booked a ski-trip to Mt Blackstrap - more of an hillock than a mountain. Saskatoon had a scenic centre, with a little castle over a river, however, the rest of the town was similar in style to Regina and Winnipeg. Flying back to Vancouver on Friday, we visited Whistler for the weekend and more blog entries on that to come.

This week has seen me take a ferry ride to Nanaimo - yes, where the famous nanaimo bars come from, although I didn't get a chance to taste any on this trip. On the way to down the Island to Victoria I stopped off at Bob and Wendy's for an excellent lamb chop. On returning to Vancouver on Tuesday evening, just in time for an early morning flight to Calgary. Wow, I'm knackered just writing the blog ariticle, but I am certainly seeing all the different parts of Canada at the cost of Mercedes.

No comments: