Friday 25 November 2011

Pearl Harbour Trip

With Nancy and Sam returning from Hawaii this evening, I am taking some time out from my bachelor weekend to update the blog with some photos from my recent trip to Pearl Harbour. On the Wednesday on my holiday, I was up early to catch a 6am flight from Maui to Honolulu and watched the sunrise over the islands from my seat. A short taxi ride and I was a the entrance to Pearl Harbour, which continues to be a working US naval base.

The photos illustrate the USS Arizona memorial, which was one of the battleship to be sunk and destroyed by the Japanese in their surprise attack on Pearl Harbour. The day after the attack was when the Americans entered World War 2. This was certainly moving, but a major highlight for me was the visit to the USS Missouri which was the last battleship to be commissioned to the US Navy. It was also the site where World War 2 officially ended, as the delegation of the Japanese signed the unconditional surrender on the deck of this ship. So you could say that these two ships at Pearl Harbour are the book ends of WW2 for the Americans. Well worth a visit.

1 comment:

Em said...

Great photos they look familiar! Any photos from Waikiki or Honolulu?