Sunday 25 April 2010

Challenge On - First 10 KM Run Under My Belt

Today, was the Times Colonist 10KM run in Victoria and this annual event achieved a record turn-out, breaking the 10,000-mark for the number of runners completing the race with 10,850 tallied up by the noon. More than 13,500 had registered. The previous high was in 2009 when 9,484 ran, walked or rolled through the TC 10K.

As competitor 3599 I was one of the many runners with this being my first competitive 10K run, as part of the run challenge. My overall objective was to get through the race without walking and lay down a decent time, which ideally would be under an hour. With so many people at the start of the race, it was difficult to manage my own pace, especially as I was more concerned about not being tripped up by other runners. As the race wore on there was increasingly more space and actually the other competitors kept me motivated to keep my pace up towards the end of the race. I even saved enough energy for a sprint finish, which was heightened by the public address system announcing my name as I approached the finish line. Check out the video that Nancy took which captures my finish and name announcement.

So most importantly, what was my time.... well the unofficial time according to my ipod was 56 mins, 40 seconds. However, the official time according to the race sensor was 56 mins, 48 seconds - see below for the confirmation and also available on the website. Over to the rest of you now.... aka Bill Murray, Marlboro man and "I'm afraid of heights" Kris.











Check out Nancy's finishing line video with my announcement at 27 seconds and crossing the line at 40 seconds.

1 comment:

"I'm afraid of heights" Kris said...

well done mate.